[b-hebrew] Re: PS /g/

Karl Randolph kwrandolph at email.com
Wed Nov 17 13:08:18 EST 2004

George:

What do we know about Hebrew prior to "putative Moses"? Only what is referring to earlier events written in Hebrew. Did Moses edit those earlier stories to make them conform to the Hebrew of his time? There is no way that I know of that we can tell, either way.

As for the dating of the Ugaritic texts, there was a debate in this forum not long ago concerning the accuracy of traditional dates. But even the earliest dates for the Ugaritic literature that I have seen (ca. 1200 BCE) is still well after Moses (who wrote ca. 1450-1400 BCE). If Rohl and others like him are correct, even that date is a couple of centuries too early.

As for the literary style I referred to, it was not unique to Hebrew, rather it was one shared by other cultures as well, where the title and author were listed at the end of a document, not the beginning. There are several places in Genesis that hint, if not more, at inclusion of documents using this style.

As far as *your* dating is concerned, in the absence of historical documents other than Tanakh that can either confirm or disprove the accuracy of Tanakh as a historical document, how can your dates be anything other than theologically based?

Karl W. Randolph.