[b-hebrew] Re: PS /g/

Peter Kirk peterkirk at qaya.org
Wed Nov 17 07:14:41 EST 2004

On 17/11/2004 05:52, Yigal Levin wrote:

>Dear Karl,
>
>The fact that Hebrew spells the name Alexander (who arrived of the scene in
>333 BCE) as "Aleksander" is proof enough that at least at that time, Hebrew
>did not have an /x/ sound.
>There is absolutely no proof that Samekh ever had anything other than an /s/
>sound, though it was obviously different originally (in early Canaanite)
>than Sin.
>
>Yigal

Yigal, what is actually the dating of this Hebrew rendering with
kaf-samekh, or is it kaf-sin? I ask because the Arabic rendering (when
not Dhul Karnain) has the k and s reversed (and the Al- reinterpreted as
the Arabic article), al-Iskandar, compare also city names like
a-Iskandariya = Alexandria, and Iskenderun = Alexandretta in Turkey. And
that is, I think, evidence that at that time Greek xi was pronounced
more like [sk] than [ks].

peter at qaya.org (personal)
peterkirk at qaya.org (work)
http://www.qaya.org/