[b-hebrew] Re: PS /g/

Karl Randolph kwrandolph at email.com
Wed Nov 17 01:31:24 EST 2004

George:

When was the earliest Hebrew written? The earliest Phoenician?

Since the earliest historical records of writing in Hebrew were on what we today would call leather scrolls, the earliest specifically mentioning writing before 1400 BCE, wouldn’t that put it earlier than the earliest Phoenician writing? And even though Genesis does not specifically mention writing, that it preserves a literary style that went out of style before Moses, that implies writing centuries before Moses.

The next question, do you trust the historical records, and why? I would not be surprised that if you don’t trust the records, it is for theological and not historical reasons.

Karl W. Randolph.