[b-hebrew] Re: PS /g/

MarianneLuban at aol.com MarianneLuban at aol.com
Wed Nov 17 01:13:40 EST 2004

In a message dated 11/16/2004 9:54:19 PM Pacific Standard Time,
leviny1 at mail.biu.ac.il writes:

> There is absolutely no proof that Samekh ever had anything other than an
> /s/
> sound, though it was obviously different originally (in early Canaanite)
> than Sin.

In the orthography, samekh was written very many times with Egyptian /T/, a
grapheme of unknown value, which later became interchangeable with Egyptian /t/
and lost its original sound.  I can't swear to the accuracy of this, but it
may be that /T/ once had the value of the Castilian vocalization of the c in
Barcelona as "Barthelona". Not quite the same as the English dipthong "th"--but
something near.