[b-hebrew] Re: PS /g/

Peter Kirk peterkirk at qaya.org
Tue Nov 16 14:39:46 EST 2004

On 16/11/2004 19:23, Mark Camilleri wrote:

>However I would like to ask what about another sibilant Arabic owns, that is, the Sad (emphatic /s/)? It is tempting to say that it corresponds with tzade in the numeric order (i.e. 90) but, in most cases, phonetically speaking, tzade compares best with the emphatics Dad and Zha rather than with Sad.
>
>Can I have an answer to this?

According to the chart which I posted a couple of days ago, there are
three Arabic letters which correspond to Hebrew tsade. Here is an
extract from the chart, with the Arabic letter names and letters added:

Proto-Semitic     Hebrew            Classical Arabic

θ̣ (th dot)       ṣ (s dot)=tsade   ẓ (z dot)=zah ظ
ṣ (s dot)        ṣ (s dot)=tsade   ṣ (s dot)=sad ص
ẓ́ (z acute dot)  ṣ (s dot)=tsade   ḍ (d dot)=dad ض

peter at qaya.org (personal)
peterkirk at qaya.org (work)
http://www.qaya.org/