[b-hebrew] Determination Hebrew vs. Aramaic

Karl Randolph kwrandolph at email.com
Mon Nov 15 17:58:33 EST 2004

Clay:

Does the -a suffix transliterated into Greek actually mean that the transliteration is from Aramaic, or Hebrew? Or could this be a hold over from an original Hebrew pronunciation where the letters of the Hebrew alphabet actually referred to a consonant-vowel syllable, instead of a single letter as we presently use it? If the latter, would not all Hebrew words and names end in vowels? And that the furtive patach under the closing he or chet are vestages of an original pronunciation that had the vowel following the consonant?

I don't have answers to these questions, but I have seen enough of the language that makes me ask them.

Karl W. Randolph.