[b-hebrew] Hebrew and Welsh?

Peter Kirk peterkirk at qaya.org
Mon Nov 15 06:08:56 EST 2004

On 15/11/2004 01:32, Yigal Levin wrote:

>Any claim of direct Hebrew-Welsh influence would have to account for the how
>and when of Hebrew-speakers arriving in Wales (or Welsh in Israel?), and I
>don't really think that there is any evidence of that. Of course, once
>Christianity had arrived, than "Hebrew" words in the (Latin) Bible may have
>made their way into Welsh, like "behemoth" etc. into English. "Bethesda", of
>course, is not Hebrew per se, it's the Latin spelling of the Greek
>pronunciation of the Aramaic name Beth-Hisda. In Hebrew it would have been
>"Beth-Hessed" or "Beth Hahessed".

I was of course making no such claim about Hebrew speakers in Wales or
vice versa - although it is known that the Phoenicians visited nearby
Cornwall. The Welsh language (of which I know very little) contains
Christian terminology borrowed from Latin and Greek during the
Romano-British period, e.g. eglwys "church" from Greek ekklesia, but I
don't actually know of any loans from Hebrew. Names for churches like
"Bethesda" and "Ebenezer" became popular in the 19th century I think.

peter at qaya.org (personal)
peterkirk at qaya.org (work)
http://www.qaya.org/