[b-hebrew] Karnaim

Harold R. Holmyard III hholmyard at ont.com
Fri Nov 12 07:20:09 EST 2004

Dear Yigal,

>I assume that "qeren" "horn" became "ray", because of the sun's "rays"
>seeming to extend like "horns" of light. As far as what happened to Moses in
>Ex 34:29-30, 35, I'm not convinced that what it really means is that his
>face "shone". I know that that is the common interpretation (remember the
>movie?), but literally, "the skin of his face became horned" - perhaps some
>skin condition?

HH: It's hard to imagine what a skin condition
producing horns might be. Of course, the Hiphil
does exist as "produce/display horns" (Ps 69:32).
Since I am a Christian, I accept the New
Testament interpretation as true. Paul gives
attention to what happened to Moses' face and
what it implied:

2Cor. 3:7 ¶ Now if the ministry that brought
death, which was engraved in letters on stone,
came with glory, so that the Israelites could not
look steadily at the face of Moses because of its
glory, fading though it was,
2Cor. 3:8 will not the ministry of the Spirit be even more glorious?
2Cor. 3:9 If the ministry that condemns men is
glorious, how much more glorious is the ministry
that brings righteousness!
2Cor. 3:10 For what was glorious has no glory now
in comparison with the surpassing glory.
2Cor. 3:11 And if what was fading away came with
glory, how much greater is the glory of that
which lasts!
2Cor. 3:12 ¶ Therefore, since we have such a hope, we are very bold.
2Cor. 3:13 We are not like Moses, who would put a
veil over his face to keep the Israelites from
gazing at it while the radiance was fading away.
2Cor. 3:14 But their minds were made dull, for to
this day the same veil remains when the old
covenant is read. It has not been removed,
because only in Christ is it taken away.
2Cor. 3:15 Even to this day when Moses is read, a veil covers their hearts.
2Cor. 3:16 But whenever anyone turns to the Lord, the veil is taken away.
2Cor. 3:17 Now the Lord is the Spirit, and where
the Spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom.
2Cor. 3:18 And we, who with unveiled faces all
reflect the Lord's glory, are being transformed
into his likeness with ever-increasing glory,
which comes from the Lord, who is the Spirit.
2Cor. 4:1 ¶ Therefore, since through God's mercy
we have this ministry, we do not lose heart.
2Cor. 4:2 Rather, we have renounced secret and
shameful ways; we do not use deception, nor do we
distort the word of God. On the contrary, by
setting forth the truth plainly we commend
ourselves to every man's conscience in the sight
of God.
2Cor. 4:3 And even if our gospel is veiled, it is
veiled to those who are perishing.
2Cor. 4:4 The god of this age has blinded the
minds of unbelievers, so that they cannot see the
light of the gospel of the glory of Christ, who
is the image of God.
2Cor. 4:5 For we do not preach ourselves, but
Jesus Christ as Lord, and ourselves as your
servants for Jesus' sake.
2Cor. 4:6 For God, who said,  "Let light shine
out of darkness," made his light shine in our
hearts to give us the light of the knowledge of
the glory of God in the face of Christ.
2Cor. 4:7 ¶ But we have this treasure in jars of
clay to show that this all-surpassing power is
from God and not from us.

				Yours,
				Harold Holmyard