[b-hebrew] Karnaim

Uri Hurwitz uhurwitz at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 11 22:32:46 EST 2004

Peter Kirk

As the modern Hebrew speakers on this list have only confused me and
others, I asked a someone I know who attended a Hebrew school in Israel,
although actually a Christian Arab. According to him:

rays (plural) = keranim, construct karne
horns (plural) = keranot, construct karnot (?)
horns (dual) = karnaim, construct karne

He admits that his knowledge is imperfect. But would anyone choose to
correct him?

Peter Kirk

The above is fine, but I would add that im Mod. Heb. Keren is also commonly used for "fund" , and the pl. here is Keranot. Of course the correct transliteration of the letter Quf is a  Q.

Uri