[b-hebrew] Karnaim

Peter Kirk peterkirk at qaya.org
Thu Nov 11 16:36:12 EST 2004

On 10/11/2004 03:13, Shoshanna Walker wrote:

> Uh - no, Marianne
>
> Karnei is not the plural of rays - it is the plural of rays "OF"
> something, ie: light
>
> The plural of rays by itself is karnaim.
>
> Rays OF something (ie light) = karnei - something
>
> Rays alone = karnaim
>
> shoshanna

As the modern Hebrew speakers on this list have only confused me and
others, I asked a someone I know who attended a Hebrew school in Israel,
although actually a Christian Arab. According to him:

rays (plural) = keranim, construct karne
horns (plural) = keranot, construct karnot (?)
horns (dual) = karnaim, construct karne

He admits that his knowledge is imperfect. But would anyone choose to
correct him?

peter at qaya.org (personal)
peterkirk at qaya.org (work)
http://www.qaya.org/