[b-hebrew] Observations on verb forms

Ken Penner pennerkm at mcmaster.ca
Mon Nov 8 11:11:08 EST 2004

Hi James,

I have produced a reference sheet of Hebrew roots which may be written
without all three radicals:
http://s91279732.onlinehome.us/reference/Weak%20Roots.pdf
These include:
1-Yod (etymological 1-Waw)
1-Nun
2-Yod / 2-Waw
3-He (etymological 3-Yod)
2=3 (Geminates)

(On page two I also present them sorted by the two remaining visible
radicals.)

Note that the 1-Yod will not be present in the Qal imperative and Qal
infinitive construct, although these have no prefix.
Likewise for some 1-Nun verbs.
3-He is not present in Jussive and Wayyiqtol forms, even when no suffix is
present; and the Qal passive participle has 3-Yod.

Hope this helps,

Ken Penner
McMaster/Hebrew
Flash! Pro vocabulary software: http://s91279732.onlinehome.us/flash or