[b-hebrew] Karnaim

Peter Kirk peterkirk at qaya.org
Mon Nov 8 08:39:32 EST 2004

On 08/11/2004 06:23, Yigal Levin wrote:

>I don't have any idea what the "qarnayim" of the Samaratin Ketubah are, but
>the"Or" in "Qaran Or Panav" of Moses (Ex. 34:29, 30, 35) is spelled with an
>'Ayin an literally means "the skin of his face becam horned". It is true
>that Qeren can also be used figuratively (and in modern Hebrew is used for
>"ray", including "radiation"), but that's an interpretation, not the literal
>meaning.

It may not just modern Hebrew. In Habakkuk 3:4 refers to QARNAYIM
apparently coming from God's hands, in a context where "rays of light"
fits well, and this is the understanding of BDB and of modern
translations. Does anyone know how far back this interpretation goes? I
don't have good reference books on Habakkuk.

More precisely, this is a metaphor, not an interpretation, which at some
stage became an extended sense of the word. The interpretation of the
metaphor may be debatable.

peter at qaya.org (personal)
peterkirk at qaya.org (work)
http://www.qaya.org/