[b-hebrew] Karnaim

Peter Kirk peterkirk at qaya.org
Sun Nov 7 17:59:03 EST 2004

On 07/11/2004 21:52, Harold R. Holmyard III wrote:

> Dear Marianne,
>
>> I am busy with the Samaritan chronicles right now and want to ask about
>> something.  I came across a Samaritan ketubah in which the bridegroom
>> was
>> described, among other things, as "baHr karnaim" (the Samaritans
>> actually pronounce the
>> first as "bakur"--but their dialect is another matter).  The footnote
>> stated
>> that the scribe had probably made an error for "kohanim"--but I find
>> this
>> rather spurious.  The Samaritans, being led since the collapse of the
>> Israelite
>> kingdom by a series of High Priests, are very conscious of their
>> kohanim.  Ever
>> since the time of Moses, they had a high priest from the line of
>> Eleazar, but
>> this line died out at some point in the Middle Ages and then the
>> Levites took
>> over, a situation that prevails to this very day.
>> Anyway, don't we encounter this "karnaim" business in connection with
>> Moses? Moses, one supposes, didn't actually have horns and any
>> Samaritan capable of
>> writing a ketubah is not going to be ignorant of how to spell
>> "kohanim". Anyone have any ideas about this "karnaim" matter?
>

> HH: If "baHr" mans "son," then the horns could be part of a phrase
> indicating a man of strength. Presumably a groom in a marriage would
> be a person of strength. Horns are a symbol of strength in the Old
> Testament.

I assume that "baHr" is not a rather crude attempt at phonetic spelling
of Aramaic "bar" = "son", but rather the H is a het and this is Hebrew
"baHur" (or perhaps "baHir") = "chosen one" or "young man". I note that
the Samaritan pronunciation given has a U sound, but maybe this is not
represented in the spelling.

So perhaps the meaning is "one chosen by Karnaim". I assume the K is in
fact a qof. Could Karnaim be a divine title? This would be a likely
development from the common use of QEREN = "horn" as a symbol of divine
strength. But then it could be a place name as in Amos 6:13 (referring
there to a place in Bashan, cf. Gen 14:5), hence perhaps "a young man
from Karnaim".

peter at qaya.org (personal)
peterkirk at qaya.org (work)
http://www.qaya.org/