[b-hebrew] Karnaim

MarianneLuban at aol.com MarianneLuban at aol.com
Sun Nov 7 16:30:40 EST 2004

I am busy with the Samaritan chronicles right now and want to ask about
something.  I came across a Samaritan ketubah in which the bridegroom was
described, among other things, as "baHr karnaim" (the Samaritans actually pronounce the
first as "bakur"--but their dialect is another matter).  The footnote stated
that the scribe had probably made an error for "kohanim"--but I find this
rather spurious.  The Samaritans, being led since the collapse of the Israelite
kingdom by a series of High Priests, are very conscious of their kohanim.  Ever
since the time of Moses, they had a high priest from the line of Eleazar, but
this line died out at some point in the Middle Ages and then the Levites took
over, a situation that prevails to this very day.
Anyway, don't we encounter this "karnaim" business in connection with Moses?
Moses, one supposes, didn't actually have horns and any Samaritan capable of
writing a ketubah is not going to be ignorant of how to spell "kohanim".
Anyone have any ideas about this "karnaim" matter?