[b-hebrew] LWZ beguiling?

Peter Kirk peterkirk at qaya.org
Fri Nov 5 06:35:45 EST 2004

On 05/11/2004 00:52, Karl Randolph wrote:

>To All:
>
>In looking at the verb LWZ as it is used in, for example, Proverbs 3:21, 32 4:21. it seems to have the meaning of beguiling, enticing (away) and taking away by trickery or fraud. I'm pretty certain that's not the gloss given for it in BDB. Any reason why it should not be understood in this manner?

The BDB general gloss is "turn aside, depart". But for 3:32, the niphal,
is listed under the definition "fig., devious, crooked". And on 4:21,
hiphil, BDB glosses the phrase "let them [my words] not depart... from
thine eyes (strictly, let them not practise, exhibit, deviation, direct
causative...)"

peter at qaya.org (personal)
peterkirk at qaya.org (work)
http://www.qaya.org/