[b-hebrew] Understanding Aramaic & understanding Hebrew

George Athas gathas at hotkey.net.au
Sun May 30 04:05:21 EDT 2004

Hi Patrina!

I'd like to echo Trevor's remarks and say that Aramaic was sufficiently different from Hebrew as to be beyond the recognition of Hebrew speakers. The problem today is that Hebrew has attained a greater status than Aramaic, to the extent that we often get the impression that Aramaic is a dialectal derivative of Hebrew. I think that mistaken impression is due to Judean history and the use of the two languages through the centuries for the people of Judah.

However, the truth is quite different. In the ancient world, Aramaic was by far the more dominant language -- it had a wider sphere of influence and usage. The difference between Aramaic and Hebrew could be likened to the modern day difference between French and Italian: there is a lot of overlap, but not to the extent where one language is intelligible to the other.

Best regards,

GEORGE ATHAS
Lecturer in Biblical Languages
Southern Cross College