[b-hebrew] Exodus Date (Josephus vs. Manetho)

Harold R. Holmyard III hholmyard at ont.com
Mon May 31 11:10:50 EDT 2004

Dear Walter,

>We are told Judah captured Jerusalem and set it on fire, then attacked
>Hebron and the Negeb, but this is contradicted by David's capture of
>Jerusalem and its Jebusite inhabitants :
>
>Judges 1:8-10 RSV
>
>"And the men of Judah fought against Jerusalem, and took it, and smote it
>with the edge of the sword, and set the city on fire. And afterward the men
>of Judah went down to fight against the Canaanites who dwelt in the hill
>country, in the Negeb and in the lowland. And Judah went against the
>Canaanites who dwelt in Hebron..."
>
>Joshua 6:24) RSV
>
>"And they burned the city [Jericho] with fire and all within it..."
>
>Contradicting the above verses is the statement that _ONLY Hazor was burnt_
>of all the cities conquered by Joshua :
>
>Joshua 11:13 RSV
>
>"But none of the cities that stood on mounds did Israel burn, except Hazor
>only; that Joshua burned."

HH: Joshua 11:13 does not contradict Judges 1:8-10, since Judges
1:8-10 concerns events that followed Joshua's death (Judges 1:1),
while Joshua 11:13 concerns Joshua's efforts. So the burning of
Jerusalem in Judges 1:8-10 was years after the events described in
Josh 11:13.

Joshua 6:24 does not contradict Joshua 11:13 because Joshua 11:13 is
about a specific campaign by Joshua against the northern kings. The
description of that campaign begins at Josh 11:1. So the remark in
Josh 11:13 concerns these northern kings and their cities. See the
comment in 11:12: "these kings," that is, the northern ones mentioned
in 11:1-5. The burning of Jericho mentioned in 6:24 happened earlier
and is not under consideration in 11:13.

					Yours,
					Harold Holmyard