[b-hebrew] Exodus and Linguistics

Julie Devall krena_li_mara at hotmail.com
Mon May 31 09:39:48 EDT 2004

Shalom Y'all,

To revisit the linguistics angle to the question, I wonder whether I see the
point that you are bringing out.

Your faith (philosophical presuppositions) about the Bible influence how you
read the text.  Whether you start with the diachronic features  to construct
a history of Israel (assuming certain features are evidence of editorial
process.)  Or whether you assume a "biblical" chronology (whatever that
means) and look for coherence-explaining difficult features as "genre"- also
searching for compatibility ANE sources.

And all we have is the finished text.

I don't know the answer...

Julie :?)

Julie :)