[b-hebrew] A Reply - WAV question

Christoph Eschenbach gandn1741f at yahoo.com
Sun May 30 08:21:10 EDT 2004

I enjoy reading Vadim's subversive comments about BH grammar, because they reflect what I have been feeling, but never had the guts to say because I didn't want to make a fool of myself and I don't have the background to back it up. I can understand the concept of perfect and imperfect in English (although I have never digested it as I well as I should have), but when I try to apply it to BH I have to slow down and do cognitive somersaults. It shouldn't be that complicated, all our concepts are foreign to BH. It's not only an different grammar, they had a different concept of time, place, causality, life, death, beginning and end; their logic wasn't Western logic. It's hopeless to learn even a modern language from the grammar - I learned French in the 70's in what was called the "audio-visual method", absorbing narratives played by tape with slides. With Hebrew I can't think of a better solution than to learn modern Hebrew and then study the differences; you grasp the differences,
 but there is a quantum leap in 'getting' the logic of the language on its own terms - Just my dilettantish two cents - Noam Eitan, Brooklyn, NY