[b-hebrew] Exodus and Hebrew Language

Brian Roberts formoria at carolina.rr.com
Sun May 30 07:41:19 EDT 2004

Yigal,

So what do you say about Jack's assertion that the script of the Izbet
Sartah inscription is proto-Canaanite?

I guess if we were to take the harmonization route here, we'd come up
with an  Israelite village where a Philistine child was learning
Canaanite. (Sorry, couldn'y resist).

On a more serious note, do scholars assume that literacy in the ANE was
an on-off phenomenon or was there a scale of degrees of literacy like we
see today?

Best Salaams,

Brian Roberts