[b-hebrew] Exodus and Hebrew Language

Yigal Levin leviny1 at mail.biu.ac.il
Sat May 29 19:31:30 EDT 2004

----- Original Message -----
The Izbet Sartah inscription is assumed to be"Hebrew" because it was found
in the archaeological context of a typical Iron I hill-country village -
typical in pottery, architecture, plan etc. Izbet Sartah is as Iron I
"Israelite" as there is. Now, it is possible to argue just what "Israelite"
means in the 12-11th centuries and would the inhabitants have actually used
that term, but what would have been the linguistic difference between a
Canaanite village and an Israelite one, anyway?

Yigal

From: "Jack Kilmon" <jkilmon at historian.net>
> I am not sure what it is that makes the Izbet Sartah inscription Hebrew.
> The script is proto-Canaanite.  Is it considered Israelite because the
> abecedary had..or was supposed to have..22 letters?   Hebrew is a language
> that used the Canaanite script and some centuries later, adopted the
Aramaic