[b-hebrew] exodus, dating of linguistics

Michael Abernathy mabernathy at isot.com
Sat May 29 15:38:34 EDT 2004

Peter,
I admit that there is more conformity to a written language; however, in the
English language you continue to find a great deal of diversity in spelling
until Webster published a standard dictionary for us to use. I believe you
also find that the written language varied considerably until we had the
standards of Shakespeare, the printed Bible, and finally a printed grammar.
Prior to these, the written language reflected the dialect.  Even now,
regional differences can be seen in both written and spoken English.  For
example, a small region of southern Ohio refers to the rear storage
compartment of a car as a "boot."  Almost everywhere else in the country, it
is a "trunk."  I believe it is the same area of the country that universally
calls every soft drink a "pop."  Their neighbors to the east and the west
refer to it as a "soda" or a "soda pop."  Given any isolation in time or
geography, I expect that we should find that locals used a different
vocabulary and when they used the same words spelled those words
phonetically according to the local pronunciation.
Sincerely,
Michael Abernathy
I am ready to believe that the Hebrew Bible helped them develop a consistent
use for the language.