[b-hebrew] exodus, dating of linguistics

Uri Hurwitz uhurwitz at yahoo.com
Sat May 29 09:51:52 EDT 2004

  Dear Michael,
   Only in personal names is there internal linguistic evidence in the HB that something new started with the Moses narratives (Alt). I refer to the Yahwist element in theophoric names, that is the component  yaho/ yo/yah , such as  Yokebed,(YWKBD) the mother of  Moses. This component is found either in the beginning of the name as above or at the end cf. ELIYHW , Elijah.
  Incidentally, this has nothing to do with the assumptions mentioned in your first paragraph.

Uri

Michael Abernathy <mabernathy at isot.com> wrote:
Just for the sake of discussion, I have a question for the group. Assuming that the Exodus actually occurred as it is described in the Bible and that it was recorded by someone about the time of Joshua, what linguistic evidence would we expect to find in the Scriptures?
I should think that the strongest evidence would be in those passages which have been miscopied by a later scribe due to some change in the language that obscurred the meaning.
Has anyone detailed the differences in the Hebrew language from a historical perspective?
Sincerely,
Michael Abernathy