[b-hebrew] Isaiah 53 read within the book as a whole

Lisbeth S. Fried lizfried at umich.edu
Fri May 28 12:44:32 EDT 2004

Dear Vadim,

> Dear Liz,
>
> > By written law, I do not mean a list of laws.
> > I mean the knowledge that when you are brought
> > in for interrogating that there is a real
> > crime on the books that you have been charged
> > with, that was there before you were charged!
>
> In this sense, communist countries didn't have a legal system 15 years
> ago.
Yes, I agree.

> >IF you think that in countries
> where there is Shariya law that there are these
> sorts of safeguards in place, then well, try
> living there.<
> I did. Emirates, Egypt, Saudi are more rigid in law adherence than Soviet
> Union.
I recently heard a discussion on NPR that the press was becoming
more lenient in Saudi Arabia. People were more willing to
write material that was critical of the regime.
In other words, they do not know, and have no assurance,
that what may be acceptable to write one day will still
be acceptable the next.
This is not a rule by law.
It is rule by whim.
Best,