[b-hebrew] Isaiah 53 read within the book as a whole

Harold R. Holmyard III hholmyard at ont.com
Thu May 27 22:32:30 EDT 2004

Dear Liz,

I know where some of your thinking originates. The Mesopotamian
steles on which law codes were carved were not necessarily used for
actual judging of laws. They were representative laws. But I would
assume that Middle Assyrian jurisprudence conformed well enough to
the Middle Assyrian law codes that we have. And I would expect that
the case was similar with the Babylonian codes. Those laws don't come
out of nowhere. No doubt in Israel many specific laws were developed
that were not in the Mosaic code to begin with. But the OT revelation
suggests that God intended Israel to live by the laws that He gave.
Whatever the situation may have been in Mesopotamia, in Israel there
was a real God at work. There was a true theocracy, and the laws
provided specific legal guidance and expectations.

				Yours,
				Harold Holmyard