[b-hebrew] Isaiah 53 read within the book as a whole

Harold R. Holmyard III hholmyard at ont.com
Thu May 27 20:44:59 EDT 2004

Dear Liz,

>  > >By "written law" I mean a concept whereby judges (or police or
>>  >lawyers or just judges) make decisions based on a written
>  > >set of laws. ...

HH: Everyone of the following laws instructs
judges what to do in certain situations. If I
were a judge who had my authority under the
sovereignty of Yahweh, I would want to be sure
that I followed what He commanded me to do in the
activity of judging.

Ex. 21:6 then his master must take him before the
judges. He shall take him to the door or the
doorpost and pierce his ear with an awl. Then he
will be his servant for life.

Ex. 21:22 ¶  "If men who are fighting hit a
pregnant woman and she gives birth prematurely
but there is no serious injury, the offender must
be fined whatever the woman's husband demands and
the court allows.

Ex. 22:8 But if the thief is not found, the owner
of the house must appear before the judges to
determine whether he has laid his hands on the
other man's property.
Ex. 22:9 In all cases of illegal possession of an
ox, a donkey, a sheep, a garment, or any other
lost property about which somebody says,  'This
is mine,' both parties are to bring their cases
before the judges. The one whom the judges
declare guilty must pay back double to his
neighbor.

Lev. 19:15 ¶ "'Do not pervert justice; do not
show partiality to the poor or favoritism to the
great, but judge your neighbor fairly.

Num. 25:5 ¶ So Moses said to Israel's judges,
"Each of you must put to death those of your men
who have joined in worshiping the Baal of Peor."
[this follows other laws]

Num. 35:24 the assembly must judge between him
and the avenger of blood according to these
regulations.

Deut. 1:16 And I charged your judges at that
time: Hear the disputes between your brothers and
judge fairly, whether the case is between brother
Israelites or between one of them and an alien.

Deut. 16:18 ¶ Appoint judges and officials for
each of your tribes in every town the LORD your
God is giving you, and they shall judge the
people fairly.

Deut. 17:12 The man who shows contempt for the
judge or for the priest who stands ministering
there to the LORD your God must be put to death.
You must purge the evil from Israel.

Deut. 19:17 the two men involved in the dispute
must stand in the presence of the LORD before the
priests and the judges who are in office at the
time.
Deut. 19:18 The judges must make a thorough
investigation, and if the witness proves to be a
liar, giving false testimony against his brother,

Deut. 21:2 your elders and judges shall go out
and measure the distance from the body to the
neighboring towns.

Deut. 25:1 ¶ When men have a dispute, they are to
take it to court and the judges will decide the
case, acquitting the innocent and condemning the
guilty.
Deut. 25:2 If the guilty man deserves to be
beaten, the judge shall make him lie down and
have him flogged in his presence with the number
of lashes his crime deserves,

					Yours,
					Harold Holmyard