[b-hebrew] "Opens the Womb" and "Firstborn"

Yigal Levin leviny1 at mail.biu.ac.il
Thu May 27 18:11:30 EDT 2004

The basic meaning of P+R is "broken open". It appears sometimes as a verb
"patar". The form "peter" appears ONLY in connection to the first born -
first that "breaks open" the womb. Interestingly, animals are called
"peter". Only humans are "peter-rexem". Perhaps only a human womb is a true
:rexem".

Yigal