[b-hebrew] Why Do They Do This????

Harold R. Holmyard III hholmyard at ont.com
Thu May 27 09:28:17 EDT 2004

Dear Chris,

The other three men were right. You were asking about the pausal
form, and I misunderstood you. Gesenius-Kautzsch-Cowley 29m says that
when a full vowel in a tone bearing final syllable has lost the tone
before an afformative, and has become a vocal Shewa, it is restored
in pause as tone-vowel, and, if short, is lengthened. One example
given is $iM:(W ("they heard"), which in pause becomes $:Mf(W

				Yours,
				Harold Holmyard