[b-hebrew] Isaiah 53 read within the book as a whole

Harold R. Holmyard III hholmyard at ont.com
Wed May 26 22:52:05 EDT 2004

Dear Liz,

>  > HH: The priests were working on the wall because
>>  they loved their country. They loved God and
>>  their country. They were part of a team that the
>  > returned Israelites formed under Nehemiah.
>
>Sure, and I've a bridge to sell you too.
>Do you think they would have done it if
>Nehemiah, the Persian governor, and the
>satrap of Beyond the River hadn't ordered
>them to? Really, do you think they had a choice?

HH: Why do you think Nehemiah was building that wall? Was it because
he worked for the Persian governor? That helped, but the real reason
was that he loved God and felt concern for the people who had
repented and returned to Israel (Neh 1:9). Why do you think those
people building the wall went back to Israel? These returnees were
the faithful ones who believed in the nation. The priests were
priests of the living God. They knew that a wall needed to be built
if they were to have strength as a people and nation. Doubtless they
shared Nehemiah's vision. Remember that Nehemiah learned of the need
to rebuild the wall from his brother and other men from Judah (Neh
1:2). Nehemiah came, saw the city, and told the Jews about his goal
of rebuilding the wall. This is what they said:

Neh 2:18 "Let's start rebuilding," and they were encouraged to do
this good work.

Hh: The following sentence shows the attitude of the builders:

Neh 4:6 So we rebuilt the wall entire the entire wall was joined
together up to half its height, for the people had the will to keep
working.

HH: The people wanted to do this because it needed to be done. Praise
the Lord even King Artaxerxes saw the wisdom of rebuilding
Jerusalem's wall and granted Nehemiah the timber to rebuild the gates
of the temple's fortress, the city wall, and even a home for Nehemiah
(Neh 2:8). So the people had the resources to accomplish this task.

					Yours,
					Harold Holmyard