[b-hebrew] Re: Exodus & Hyksos

Harold R. Holmyard III hholmyard at ont.com
Wed May 26 20:17:22 EDT 2004

Dear David,

>Dr. Merrill is of course correct that no one
>likes to admit defeat, and the ancient Egyptians
>were no different (there are plenty of Americans
>who think the US won the war of 1812).  He is
>also correct that different kings of Egypt
>exerted different amounts of effort to maintain
>Egyptian control of Canaan.  Nonetheless, Egypt
>did control Canaan more or less from the
>expulsion of the Hyksos to some time just before
>the reign of King David.  The Armana Letters,
>the Merneptah Stele, and other evidence all
>point this out.  Judges and Joshua do not even
>mention any Egyptians in Canaan although their
>presence there is well documented both in Egypt
>and Canaan for just about any realistic period
>for the conquest. There is simply no way a group
>could flee Egypt and then conquer Canaan forty
>years later and be consistent with the evidence.

HH: What I remember of the Amarna tablets is that
Egypt failed to respond to the cry of the cities
for help from attackers. We don't know what the
strength of the Egyptian presence was. Dr.
Merrill has given you factual information about
the rulers at the time. Israel did not take full
possession of the land immediately, and never
really conquered parts of Canaan. And Egypt could
have maintained a presence at Joppa, Gaza,
Beth-shan, and elsewhere despite the presence of
Israel. The International Standard Bbile
Encyclopedia writes:

Most of the Amarna Letters reveal an unsettled
state of affairs in Syro-Palestine itself, which
belies the superficial appearance of unity
implied by the Egyptian presence in Hither Asia.
The morale of the Canaanite princelings had
greatly deteriorated during the period of
Egyptian decline with the result that they were
often at war with each other. In their
correspondence they occasionally stooped to
hurling mutual accusations of treason against the
crown and disloyalty to one another. Under such
circumstances they were vulnerable to attack by
dissident elements within their own domains as
well as by enemies from without, and in their
letters to the pharaohs we frequently read their
desperate pleas for fresh supplies of Egyptian
and Nubian archers to man their garrisons. Such
requests were met uniformly with a stony silence
by the Egyptian court. The dissolution of the
Egyptian empire in Syro-Palestine, already
underway during the rule of Amenhotep III, was
greatly accelerated under Akhenaten, who was
preoccupied with domestic affairs for most of his
reign.

HH: Even the cities that Joshua defeated, like
Jerusalem (Josh 10:5; 12:10), were not
necessarily defeated permanently. David had to go
back and conquer Jerusalem, which was still in
the hands of non-Israelites around 1000 B.C. The
full conquest took hundreds of years. The Book of
Judges shows how it faltered:

Judg. 1:27 ¶ But Manasseh did not drive out the
people of Beth Shan or Taanach or Dor or Ibleam
or Megiddo and their surrounding settlements, for
the Canaanites were determined to live in that
land.
Judg. 1:28 When Israel became strong, they
pressed the Canaanites into forced labor but
never drove them out completely.
Judg. 1:29 Nor did Ephraim drive out the
Canaanites living in Gezer, but the Canaanites
continued to live there among them.
Judg. 1:30 Neither did Zebulun drive out the
Canaanites living in Kitron or Nahalol, who
remained among them; but they did subject them to
forced labor.
Judg. 1:31 Nor did Asher drive out those living
in Acco or Sidon or Ahlab or Aczib or Helbah or
Aphek or Rehob,
Judg. 1:32 and because of this the people of
Asher lived among the Canaanite inhabitants of
the land.
Judg. 1:33 Neither did Naphtali drive out those
living in Beth Shemesh or Beth Anath; but the
Naphtalites too lived among the Canaanite
inhabitants of the land, and those living in Beth
Shemesh and Beth Anath became forced laborers for
them.
Judg. 1:34 The Amorites confined the Danites to
the hill country, not allowing them to come down
into the plain.
Judg. 1:35 And the Amorites were determined also
to hold out in Mount Heres, Aijalon and Shaalbim,
but when the power of the house of Joseph
increased, they too were pressed into forced
labor.
Judg. 1:36 The boundary of the Amorites was from
Scorpion Pass to Sela and beyond.
Judg. 2:1 ¶ The angel of the LORD went up from
Gilgal to Bokim and said,  "I brought you up out
of Egypt and led you into the land that I swore
to give to your forefathers. I said,  'I will
never break my covenant with you,
Judg. 2:2 and you shall not make a covenant with
the people of this land, but you shall break down
their altars.' Yet you have disobeyed me. Why
have you done this?
Judg. 2:3 Now therefore I tell you that I will
not drive them out before you; they will be
[thorns] in your sides and their gods will be a
snare to you."

				Yours,
				Harold Holmyard