[b-hebrew] Vav consecutive Gen 1:3

UUC unikom at paco.net
Wed May 26 09:54:55 EDT 2004

I always wondered, If the grammar is so complicated, how did the ancients
spoke these languages, anyway? Surely it looked to them simpler than that.

Sincerely,

Vadim Cherny

> Serves to prove the view that the waw consecutive verbs are not imperfects
at all, but preterites (past tense) with a non-converse waw. The jussive is
formed off the preterite, hence both forms are shorter than the imperfect.