[b-hebrew] Isaiah 53: oppression?

Harold R. Holmyard III hholmyard at ont.com
Wed May 26 14:04:02 EDT 2004

Dear Vadim,

>How about otzer?
>
>The translation of confinement (otzer, vs8) as oppression is
>unwarranted. The word is also translated thus in Psalm 107:39, which
>is clearly wrong in relation to the princes mentioned there.

HH: The princes are not even mentioned until the following verse, so
Ps 107:39 does not have to concern princes.

>  Rulers can be pressed (surrounded and wander in wastes) but not
>oppressed. In the only other instance, Proverbs 30:16, the same word
>refers to barren [womb], also a closed place, confinement. Because
>of (from) oppression he was taken is also meaningless, unless we
>assume he was taken from this world of oppression to the heavenly
>kingdom; but Isaiah does not profess resurrection. In the Tanach,
>taken [by God] is used only with Enoch and Elijah, and seems too
>high-flown considering the writer's attitude toward his subject.
>Further, this reading is not congruent with  his soul was exposed to
>death.

HH: A translation note from the NET Bible says this:

tn The precise meaning of this line is uncertain. The translation
above assumes that /m here has an instrumental sense, "by, through,"
and understands otzer umishpat , "coercion and legal decision," as a
hendiadys meaning "coercive legal decision." Other interpretive
options include: (1) "without [for this sense of /m, see BDB 578]
hindrance and proper judicial process," i.e., "unfairly and with no
one to defend him," (2) "from [in the sense of "after," see BDB 581]
arrest and judgment."

				Yours,
				Harold Holmyard

HH: