[b-hebrew] Joseph & Rameses

Peter Kirk peterkirk at qaya.org
Tue May 25 14:44:59 EDT 2004

On 25/05/2004 10:14, david.kimbrough at charter.net wrote:

>My understand of Pi-Ramesses is that it was built on or
>near the ruins of Aversis, the Hyksos capital, not the
>other way around.  The stie is one of strategic importance
>as both the Hyksos and Ramessid rulers of Egypt realized.
>
>Pi-Ramesses does indeed mean "House of Ramesses" so it does
>not seem possible for it to have been built before the
>assension of Ramesses I (Menpehtyre).  However since he
>only ruled for at most two years (1295 - 1294), it is
>unlikely he built Pi-Ramesses.  It is far more likely that
>it was built by his son Seti I (Menmaatre 1394 - 1279) in
>honor of his father.
>
>Again, taking the Gen 47:11 at face value, Joseph could not
>have arrived in Egypt prior to 1280.

Well, it probably shouldn't be taken so much at face value. Very likely
this name was added to the text by a later redactor, giving the name by
which the area was known in his or her time, or perhaps updating an old
and forgotten name.

peter at qaya.org (personal)
peterkirk at qaya.org (work)
http://www.qaya.org/