[b-hebrew] Isaiah 53 read within the book as a whole

Harold R. Holmyard III hholmyard at ont.com
Tue May 25 09:47:00 EDT 2004

Dear Liz,

>Dear Harold,
>We'll agree to disagree.
>I don't believe in end of ages.

HH: Thinking of history in terms of ages, and in
terms of an age coming to an end, was common in
first century Israel, evidently:

Matt. 12:32 Anyone who speaks a word against the
Son of Man will be forgiven, but anyone who
speaks against the Holy Spirit will not be
forgiven, either in this age or in the age to
come.
Matt. 13:39 and the enemy who sows them is the
devil. The harvest is the *end of the age,* and
the harvesters are angels.
Matt. 13:40 ¶  "As the weeds are pulled up and
burned in the fire, so it will be at the *end of
the age.*
Matt. 13:49 This is how it will be at the *end of
the age.* The angels will come and separate the
wicked from the righteous
Matt. 24:3 ¶ As Jesus was sitting on the Mount of
Olives, the disciples came to him privately.
"Tell us," they said,  "when will this happen,
and what will be the sign of your coming and of
the *end of the age?"*
Matt. 28:20 and teaching them to obey everything
I have commanded you. And surely I am with you
always, to the very *end of the age."*
Mark 10:30 will fail to receive a hundred times
as much in this present age (homes, brothers,
sisters, mothers, children and fields - and with
them, persecutions) and in the age to come,
eternal life.
Luke 20:34 ¶ Jesus replied,  "The people of this
age marry and are given in marriage.
Luke 20:35 But those who are considered worthy of
taking part in that age and in the resurrection
from the dead will neither marry nor be given in
marriage,
1Cor. 1:20 ¶ Where is the wise man? Where is the
scholar? Where is the philosopher of this age?
Has not God made foolish the wisdom of the world?
1Cor. 2:6 ¶ We do, however, speak a message of
wisdom among the mature, but not the wisdom of
this age or of the rulers of this age, who are
coming to nothing.
1Cor. 2:8 None of the rulers of this age
understood it, for if they had, they would not
have crucified the Lord of glory.
1Cor. 3:18 ¶ Do not deceive yourselves. If any
one of you thinks he is wise by the standards of
this age, he should become a "fool" so that he
may become wise.
2Cor. 4:4 The god of this age has blinded the
minds of unbelievers, so that they cannot see the
light of the gospel of the glory of Christ, who
is the image of God.
Gal. 1:4 who gave himself for our sins to rescue
us from the present evil age, according to the
will of our God and Father,
Eph. 1:21 far above all rule and authority, power
and dominion, and every title that can be given,
not only in the present age but also in the one
to come.
1Tim. 6:19 In this way they will lay up treasure
for themselves as a firm foundation for the
coming age, so that they may take hold of the
life that is truly life.
Titus 2:12 It teaches us to say "No" to
ungodliness and worldly passions, and to live
self-controlled, upright and godly lives in this
present age,
Heb. 6:5 who have tasted the goodness of the word
of God and the powers of the coming age,

					Yours,
					Harold Holmyard