[b-hebrew] question re: Tel Dan stela

Dave Washburn dwashbur at nyx.net
Mon May 24 20:43:00 EDT 2004

On Monday 24 May 2004 14:50, Scott Needham wrote:
> Folk:
>
> N.P. Lemche, "'House of David': The Tel Dan Inscription(s)",
> _Jerusalem in Ancient History and Tradition_, ed. Thomas L. Thompson,
> 2003, pp. 46-67, [and, I guess, with TLT in the 'Biran Killing David'
> article some years ago] asserts (1) that the "byt dwd" part of the
> inscription actually appears as "bytdwd" and (2)that the two word
> usage would in BH carry significantly different implications than the
> one word version.
>
> Regarding (1), one specific question: If this is so, why do 99% of the
> writers on the stela present the two word version?

It's generally assumed that the inscription has two words but lacks a
word-divider symbol between them.  There are profuse explanations for this.

> Generally: Anyone care to explicate?

George Athas is the local expert on the Tel Dan inscription.  He has as much
info as you could want on his web page.  I don't have the address handy, but
a google or altavista search under his name and Tel Dan should turn it up
pretty quickly.

--
Dave Washburn
http://www.nyx.net/~dwashbur