[b-hebrew] Prophetic Perfect? Psalm 107

Jack Kilmon jkilmon at historian.net
Mon May 24 18:31:18 EDT 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: "UUC" <unikom at paco.net>
To: <b-hebrew at lists.ibiblio.org>
Sent: Monday, May 24, 2004 9:19 AM
Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Prophetic Perfect? Psalm 107

> Dear Rolf,
>
> Can you please satisfy my curiosity? I was under impression that our
> knowledge of the Phoenician is basically speculative, based just on
several
> hundred entries, certainly not something to base a theory on. Was there
any
> advance I'm not aware of?

The Phoenicean language (Punic) was still spoken in the 5th century.
Augustine was facile in it.  The Canaanite languages, including Phoenician,
descended from Ugaritic.  Phoenician spawned Punic, Moabite, Edomite, Hebrew
and Ammonite.  A bibliography of Phoenician dictionaries and grammar can be
found at:

http://www.lib.washington.edu/neareast/phoenlang.html

Jack