[b-hebrew] Vav consecutive Gen 1:2

wattswestmaas wattswestmaas at eircom.net
Mon May 24 15:56:36 EDT 2004

I really mean it, I don't go looking for trouble but:

Genesis 1:2  --  Let there be light and there was light.

My grammar book states ( about the perfect + imperfect sequence):  "The vav
consecutive is used nowhere else in the whole hebrew verb system except
here".  I.E. Vav with patach.

So? YHi (yod heh yod) being a jussive is followed by exactly the same except
with Vav consecutive, and as I understand it one cannot point the vav in
this manner EXCEPT on a vav consecutive. Yet this second verb is also
imperfect.

Now you can all obliterate my reasoning because as is usual I have to be
missing something obvious.

Regards to you all  --  Chris