[b-hebrew] Isaiah 53: you made his life?

Lisbeth S. Fried lizfried at umich.edu
Mon May 24 14:43:23 EDT 2004

Dear Vadim,
I agree that tasim is either "you" or "she" "naphsho."
You're right, there is no one addressed in the poem,
so maybe we should rule out "you."
Naphsho is often reflexive. I don't see a problem with
a person paying a ransom for his own life.
"If he sets a ransom for himself .." but then why
switch to masculine in "he will see"?
I don't know. But you have this problem however
you translate asham.
Liz