[b-hebrew] Isaiah 53: justify righteous?

Harold R. Holmyard III hholmyard at ont.com
Mon May 24 09:27:08 EDT 2004

Dear Vadim,

>  >Perhaps the Israelites had a mental concept like "bring righteousness"
>Isn't it true that allowing yourself assumptions like that, you can explain
>anything to suit your notions?
>
>Would you show me same usage of izdk le as make righteous anywhere else, or
>is it just another speculation?

HH: Vadim, the onus is on you to show that there is something wrong
with this widely accepted understanding for the verb in Isa 53:11.
The verb CDQ (zdk) means "be righteous, just." So the natural meaning
for the Hiphil, which generally has a causative meaning, would be to
"make righteous," or justify. Other meanings might be acquit or
vindicate. The translation "make righteous" would be aimed to bring
out the wordplay in Hebrew between "righteous one" and the verb.

Daniel 12:3 seems similar, where the Hiphil of CDQ occurs with RB.YM
as the object. It is translated in the NIV as "lead many to
righteousness." The preposition L does not appear there.

In Job 27:5 the NIV takes the Hiphil of CDQ to mean "admit that
someone is in the right."
In Ps 82:3 it implies "maintain the rights of"
It suggests "vindicate" at Isaiah 50:8.
It means "acquit" at Isa 5:23.

One of the meanings of "justify," which is a common translation for
the verb at Isa 53:11 (NIV, HCSB, NASB) is "to judge, regard, or
treat as righteous and worthy of salvation." This meaning for
"justify" comes from Webster's Dictionary, showing that "justify" has
a meaning quite comparable to "make righteous."

					 Yours,
					 Harold Holmyard