[b-hebrew] Jericho, Rameses, & San Fransisco

Kevin W. Woodruff cierpke at prodigy.net
Sun May 23 17:22:17 EDT 2004

And there would be others who would insist that San
Francisco was destroyed in 1906 instead of 1908
because the ancient archives at Tel-el-New York have
that event dated to April 18, 1906 at 5:12 local time

Kevin

--- david.kimbrough at charter.net wrote:
> A different way to look at the issue is to consider
> that
> the OT in four separate locations assoicates the
> Isrealites
> with a region of Egypt called ?Rameses? which
> appears to be
> located in the North-East corner of the delta (Gen
> 47:11,
> Exd 12:37 Num 33:3, Num 33:5).  ?Rameses? is not
> inconsistent with the city of ?Pi-Rameses?, near
> ?Pi-Thom?.
> Although it is not certain when Pi-Ramesses was
> built, it
> was probably not built before Ramesses I (who was
> born in
> the north eastern delta and died in 1290 BC)
> although it
> may have been built by Seti I.  If we take the OT at
> face
> value and assume that ?Rameses? is the same as ?Pi-
> Ramesses?, then according to Gen 47:11 Joseph
> settled in
> Rameses no earlier than the mid 1200?s BC.
>
> Of course this may be an anachronism.  If it is
> assumed
> that the author(s) of Genesis, Exodus, and Numbers
> were
> writing many centuries after the fact, they may have
> used
> the name of a region of Egypt that they and their
> readers
> were familiar with, not knowing it was built after
> then
> exodus.
>
> All of this is assuming the actually was a battle of
>
> Jericho.  If for the moment that it is assumed that
> City IV
> was in fact destroyed by fire as Kenyon argued, that
> does
> not mean that it was destroyed by the Isrealites or
> that
> the fire was the result of warfare.  Both the cities
> of
> Chicago and London were destroyed by fire that had
> nothing
> to do with war.  In 1908 most of San Fransisco was
> destroyed by fires caused by an earthquake.  If
> three
> thousand years from now archeologists were to
> examine the
> ruins of San Fransisco, they would find a layer of
> upended
> foundations and carcoal.  They might conclude that
> San
> Fransisco was destroyed by invading isrealites.
>

> > From: "Yigal Levin" <leviny1 at mail.biu.ac.il>
> > Date: 2004/05/23 Sun AM 07:26:35 GMT
> > To: "b-hebrew" <b-hebrew at lists.ibiblio.org>
> > Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Jericho(5)
> >
> > No, Herm, if you want to argue a theory, you have
> to give
> us all the
> > evidence.
> >
> > > <<Given a choice, I'll go for an Assyrian
> Capivity ca.
> 722 BC to reckon a
> > > <<chronolgy from.
> > >
> > > Ok, for the time being, I won't convey the
> [...]
=== message truncated ===

=====
Prof. Kevin W. Woodruff, M. Div., M. S. I. S.
Library Director/Reference Librarian, Professor of Bible and Greek
423/493-4252 (office) 423/493-4423 (home) 423/493-4497 (FAX)
Cierpke at prodigy.net  http://pages.prodigy.net/cierpke/woodruff.htm