[b-hebrew] Jericho(5)

Harold R. Holmyard III hholmyard at ont.com
Sun May 23 08:15:39 EDT 2004

Dear Ephraim,

>Next, we have 120 years for the combined reigns of Solomon, David,
>and Saul.  Therefore, Saul began the monarchy in 1102 BC.  But now,
>we need an accurate defined length of time for the period of the Judges.
>In Acts chapter 13, Paul gives a historical narrative of the nation of
>Israel.  He cites that there was a total of 450 years for the Judges, which
>yields the year 1552 BC for the end of the conquest.  Add 6 years (5.5)
>for the conquest, we now have 1558 BC for the fall of Jericho.

HH: This may be where the problem is. A commentary on Acts that I am
looking at (Homer A. Kent, Jerusalem to Rome) says that the 450 years
includes the time of Israel in Egypt, the wilderness wandering, and
the time of the conquest (Acts 13:19-20). So it doesn't just take one
back to the beginning of Judges. In fact, it does not even count the
period of the judges. Another commentary (Mikeal C. Parsons and
Martin M. Culy, Acts: A Handbook on the Greek Text) agrees with this
assessment, calling this a parenthetical statement summarizing the
period described in Acts 13:17-19: four hundred years in Egypt, forty
years in the wilderness, and about ten years during which the land
was being distributed among the tribes of Israel.

				Yours,
				Harold Holmyard

				Yours,
				harold Holmyard