[b-hebrew] Even-Shoshan + Verb recognition

Maurice A. O'Sullivan mauros at iol.ie
Sat May 22 16:36:16 EDT 2004

At 12:10 22/05/2004, wattswestmaas wrote:

>For example - Following a reading of Genesis 4:1:  The verb TeLeD
>(supposedly an imperfect that I absolutely can not fit into any known
>conjugation) Working on the premise that I am at fault in my understanding I
>try to look it up.  It is listed on page 468 under number 146. And yes this
>provides, in this instance, no further understanding of the way this
>imperfect?? is conjugated.

Chris:
I see two list members have been quick off the mark to help you out on
this. But I would suggest that you consult either an introductory  grammar,
such as Lambdin or a reference grammar such as van der Merwe etc: A
Biblical Hebrew Reference Grammar:

There is a good treatment in the latter of peh-Yod verbs, beginning on
p.116. It makes the point, initially, about peh-Yod and peh-Waw that:
 >>  These two classes must be considered together because of their
historical development.<<
  Of peh-Yod verbs it notes that >>  only seven verbs that belong to this
category occur in the Bible <<  and yours is not one of them.

Instead, >> Original peh-Waw ( or 1 waw verbs as the book uses the modern
temrinology ) include (sit), (give birth), (go down), (know) and (go out).
In conjugating these verbs the original waw is sometimes retained, but each
stem formation will be considered separately.<<

which is where it gets quite complicated and you really do need to
consult  a good grammar to understand what is going on.

For instance, just taking the two elements in the example you raise, the
combination of the waw-consecutive and the original 1 waw verb means that:
1. Fusion of the imperfect preformative and the waw of the verb stem leads
to the vowel of the preformative changing
2. When the waw consecutive is added to the Qal imperfect, the vowel in the
last syllable changes due to the accent shift that accompanies the addition
of the conjunction.

In the light of this, is it any wonder that you " absolutely can not fit
into any known conjugation" <vbg>.  There are, after all, some things you
_have_ to accept ( and learn ) -- and BH is replete with them!

BTW, as to the waw-consecutive ( or the waw-disjunctive as Waltke, Bruce
K., and M. O'Connor. An Introduction to Biblical Hebrew Syntax. Winona
Lake, IN: Eisenbrauns, 1999. terms it,) this book notes:

 >> A disjunctive-waw clause may also shift the scene or refer to new
participants; the disjunction may come at the beginning or end of a larger
episode or it may "interrupt" one. The "interruptive" use, better called
explanatory or parenthetical, "break[s] into the main narrative to supply
information relevant to or necessary for the narrative" The disjunction may
also indicate "either the completion of one episode or the beginning of
another. [ see Lambdin  p.164, citing Gn. 3:1; 4:1; 16:1; 21:1 ] " <<

mauros at iol.ie