[b-hebrew] True Date of the Jericho Battle

Uri Hurwitz uhurwitz at yahoo.com
Sat May 22 16:48:06 EDT 2004

   Yigal wrote:  "However, even if that date is off by about a century either way it would not
make a difference, as there is NO archaeological OR textual evidence of any
appearance of anything that anyone could identify as "Israelites" until the
very end of the 13th century.

Yigal"
      I believe you refer here to the the "Israel Stele" by Merenptah; indeed late 13th cent., and there the matter could rest.

  But some timid souls would still support Th. Meek's thesis, and he was not the first or the only one, that the infamous Habiru of the Amarna tablets in the 14th century were the Hebrews. He made this connection on clear linguistic grounds, which  makes this worth discussion on  this list. And it would push back the external references to biblical Hebrews by over a century. But please don't tell Rainey (among those who violently deny any connection with the Habiru) what I wrote here.

Uri
,