[b-hebrew] Prophetic Perfect? Psalm 107

furuli at online.no furuli at online.no
Sat May 22 15:57:08 EDT 2004

Dear Peter,

In order to have an intelligent exchange, please answer the question
I posed to Vadim: If you use a modern linguistic approach, how can
you know whether the WAYYIQTOL  of )MR  in Gen 1:3 has past reference
because past tense is a *semantic* part of the form or whether the
past reference is *pragmatic*?
(It is quite interesting that M. P. Streck (1995) Zahl und Zeit
Grammatik der Numeralia und des Verbalsystems im Spätbabylonischen,
pp. 107-108 refers to several examples of past reference of the verb
QABU ("to say") in the IPARRAS  conjugation, which is believed to be
a counterpart to Hebrew YIQTOL. I have also found several similar
examples with that verb in my own reading of Akkadian documents.

Also, please address my Phoenician examples (and similar examples
from the Amarna letters) of infinitive absolutes functioning as
finite verbs with past reference. Do they represent past tense
("grammaticalized location in time"), or is their past reference just
pragmatic?

When this is done, we may have an intelligent discussion of the
hypothetical deductive method, where one million confirmatory
examples do not prove a hypothesis, but where one certain
counter-example falsifies it.

Best regards

Rolf

Rolf Furuli