[b-hebrew] Isaiah 53: in his death?

Peter Kirk peterkirk at qaya.org
Sat May 22 14:49:09 EDT 2004

On 21/05/2004 14:58, Karl Randolph wrote:

>I suspect that you would agree with Peter
>Kirk that ‘the present is the key to the
>past’, i.e. that present processes are
>the same as have happened in _all_ of the
>past. Therefore, because telling the
>future is something that is not happening
>today, past records purporting to be
>telling the future had to have been
>written after the “fulfillment”. Those
>who don’t agree with your theology find
>your posts a bit tiring at best, absurd
>at worst. Except where they directly
>affect understanding Biblical Hebrew
>language, should they be on this list at
>all?

Karl, may I clarify something here. You seem to attribute to me the
words ‘the present is the key to the past’, but I think these go back to
the 18th century geologist James Hutton. Now I do uphold this principle
for studies of languages and linguistics, which is the context of our
previous discussion - at least for all of human history if not "in _all_
of the past". But I don't accept that this principle is valid in a case
like this, of biblical exegesis, especially those related to the unique
events of God's self-revelation in the Bible. On this matter my position
is certainly different from that of Liz. Also, by the way, I don't
accept the premise of the argument which you attribute to me, that
"telling the future is something that is not happening today"; I believe
that in exceptional cases the Holy Spirit of God does reveal the future
today. But that is not really relevant to the immediate issue.

peter at qaya.org (personal)
peterkirk at qaya.org (work)
http://www.qaya.org/