[b-hebrew] Advanced Hebrew Grammar

C. Stirling Bartholomew jacksonpollock at earthlink.net
Fri May 21 13:28:04 EDT 2004

On 5/21/04 9:17 AM, "A. Philip Brown II" <pbrown at GBS.EDU> wrote:

> While I agree with you, Clay, do you prefer Juoun over W&O'C?  What do you
> use?
>
> Philip Brown

I don't have Juoun on hand. Don't get me wrong, I make use of W&O'C and it
is valuable and much more friendly that GKC. But I do marvel at the fact
that we have all these brilliant linguists and philologists working in
Semitic languages but as Dave W. has pointed out the standard textbook is
conceptually from the era of L.Bloomfield and C.Fries. NT Greek is even
worse off, most seminaries are using grammars published in the last decade
but using a framework that were current in the 19th century.

Even the people who have taken PhD's in the last decade studying under gurus
famous for their "linguistic approach" seem to be relapsing into safe
traditional approaches when teaching grammar. I could cite some specific
examples but why make more enemies.

greetings,
Clay Bartholomew