[b-hebrew] Isaiah 53: in his death?

Lisbeth S. Fried lizfried at umich.edu
Fri May 21 13:23:45 EDT 2004

> Dear Liz,
>
> >That shouldn't be translated "bears the guilt of", but rather "bears
> >the
> responsibility of," the congregation, "takes responsibility
> for the congragion."< In Jewish justice, there is no
> responsibility without guilt. Period. You're retrojecting
> modern concepts of pervasive sin, when a person feels guilty
> when he is not.
I'm not talking about guilt or sin, I'm just talking about taking
responsibility for the actions of the community. Read Milgrom.
Forget sin and guilt. It's just where the buck stops.

> > think it is worthwhile to remember tho that it is Cyrus who is
> the Messiah in the book of Isaiah, not the servant.< This is
> your assumption, not a fact.
Um, I'm quoting Isaiah 45:1. It is Isaiah's assumption, not mine.

> >It means to take responsibility, but it  doesn't imply
> guilt. The High
> >Priest nasa' 'avon of the congregation.
> Lev22:16; bear the iniquity
> Here is a challenge, if you will: show me one example of nasa
> with avon, pesha or het as forgiving (the one forgiving
> should be, of course, human, and the sins in question should
> be more general than offense done to this particular man) or
> evidently not related to sharing guilt. There is none.
Milgrom suggests translating it as "bear responsibility for."
I don't know what you're talking about forgiving.
I don't know what you mean here. Sorry. Why forgiving???

Best,
Liz