[b-hebrew] Infinitive Construct.

wattswestmaas wattswestmaas at eircom.net
Fri May 21 09:30:22 EDT 2004

Dear members,

Could someone please add to my understanding of the purpose of the
infinitive construct.  The deffinitions of the Inf.construct are clearly
laid out before me - but alas, what can I say?

It does appear that in a lot of the instances where an infinitive construct
is used the Absolute would be just as correct (or is this to much leaning
towards modern hebrew usage)?

Also I am somewhat confused by the fact that some things are listed as inf
construct and it first  appeared as an inf absolute to me (ie a construct
with a lamed prefixed)???

Is the primary purpose of the Inf.constuct in that it is a free-flowing verb
form (ie, is not limited by gender and number) that MAY take prefixes and
therefore grant more flexibilty to the writer.

I am aware that I may not be asking the right questions in order to arrive
at a good understanding so please feel free to deviate.  I am still what one
would call 'A proffessional Amateur' concerning the deep end of Grammar.

Thankyou all, Chris.