[b-hebrew] Isaiah 53: in his death?

Karl Randolph kwrandolph at email.com
Fri May 21 03:21:25 EDT 2004

Liz:

And your reading that there three Isaiahs
and two Jeremiahs and so forth is not
eisegesis?

A couple of months ago I got called to
the carpet for postulating a different
scenario, which led to me noticing a
pattern of linguistic development that
your scenario will obscure. That was in a
message that acknowledged that there is a
difference of opinion. And now you insist
that only your reading is valid? Is that
not out of line for this group?

I acknowledge that your view exists and
that many people share it. However, it
appears to me to be more based on
eisegesis than mine.

Concerning verb “tenses”, I was taught
that one of the features of the Qatal
binyan was that it referred to a one time
event while the Yiqtol to a repeating or
continuing event. Hence a Qatal future
would refer to an event that would happen
only once. That’s in addition to its
usual referral to completed action while
the Yiqtol to incompleted action. But I
haven’t followed up on this, has anyone
else?

Karl W. Randolph.