[b-hebrew] Isaiah 53 read within the book as a whole

Harold R. Holmyard III hholmyard at ont.com
Thu May 20 22:53:51 EDT 2004

Dear David,

I like this idea that Isaiah 53 explains how
Israel received double for all her sins, and I
will have to try and read Isaiah that way to see
if it works.  I have always understood double to
imply that Israel had been punished twice as much
as she had sinned. And much in Scripture suggests
Israel will be punished terribly before ultimate
peace and victory comes. So while I accept all
that you said and am grateful that you said it,
the words of Isaiah 40 still seem enigmatic.

					Yours,
					Harold Holmyard